Course Administrators Guide
Accepting, Approving, Rejecting and Managing Waiting Lists for Students on a Course
If you are a Course Administrator you are able to accept, approve, and reject students who have enrolled on a course in your department. As the Course Administrator you have an overview for all of the courses that you are administering.
Accepting or Rejecting Students on a Course
- Click Course Signup on the left hand navigation menu, then click on Pending Acceptances at the top of the page.
- In this screen you will see all the students who have signed up for courses in your department whose status is marked 'pending'.
- On each student record on the far right under the heading Actions there are two options displayed as hyperlinks, ACCEPT or REJECT.
- By clicking the relevant link the student will be accepted onto the course and an email will alert their supervisor to approve the student's attendance. By rejecting the student, they will be sent an email informing them that they cannot attend the course.
Approving a Student on a Course and by-passing the Supervisor Approval Process
- Course Administrators are able to approve students, bypassing the process of supervisor's approval. When a student has been ACCEPTED on a course in the Pending Acceptances screen the hyperlinks under Actions change to APPROVE or REJECT.
- By clicking APPROVE the student will be sent an email informing them that they have been approved and are able to attend the course.
Managing Students on a Waiting List
- Course administrators are able to manage students who wish to attend a course but have been placed on a waiting list due to the course being full. When a student has joined the waiting list they will appear under the course in Course Administration.
- If a place becomes available due to a student withdrawing, course administrators can change the status of any student on the waiting list to ACCEPTED. This will generate an email to the student informing them they have a place on the course.
Withdrawing a Student from a Course
Course administrators may find it necessary from time to time to withdraw a student during a later stage in the enrolment process.
Click on Course Administration at the top of the page.
- Select the course from which the student wishes to withdraw from the drop-down list at
the top of the page.
- Go to the student's entry under attendees (the second table down) and select WITHDRAWN from the drop-down box.
This will change the student's status to withdrawn on the system.
Bulk Registering of Students onto a Course
Course Administrators may wish to bulk register students onto courses in their department which are compulsory or to ensure that students within their home department are registered before opening the course for wider availability.
- To upload multiple students click the Course Administration link at the top.
- Use the 'select a course' drop-down and find the course you wish to upload to.
- At the bottom of the screen on this course is a hyperlink Add Signup.
- Click the link to bring up an area in which you can enter either the students' email addresses or their SSO (Single Sign-On) username.
- Any email addresses added in this field must be an Oxford email address as external emails addresses will not be recognised by the system. In some cases, the student's department email address may not be recognised and a college email address should be used instead.
- An error message will alert you when an email address has not been recognised which can be remedied by the action in point 5.
- Click Find which will take you to a list of users email addresses found on the system.
- Tick the instance of the course you would like to sign the students up for under Select Courses and click Add.
- The students will then appear on the course.
- Course administrators can oversubscribe courses should they need to.
- When using the bulk signup facility it is important to APPROVE students as this method does not involve supervisor approvals. By approving students using the APPROVE hyperlink this will generate an email to the student indicating that they have been enrolled on the course.
Viewing All Students Attending a Course
Course administrators are able to view a list of students who are enrolled on a course in their department. This can be used to produce an attendance list for the course and also provides an email address for each student.
- To view course attendance, click the |Course Administration|link at the top.
- Use the 'select a course' drop-down and find the course you wish to view.
- A list of students will appear and these can be sorted by status using the filters in the signups header.
- To create an attendance sheet, click on the Register link in the Attendance column, this will provide a PDF document which can be printed out and circulated around a classroom.
Alternatively use the Export hyperlink in the
header just below the course title. This will create a .csv (spread sheet) file containing
the students' names, their email addresses, and their status. This can be opened in
Excel or equivalent and can be copied into Word or any other text editor to create a simple register.
Bulk Emailing Students on a Course
Course administrators are able to bulk email all students who have signed-up for a course and have been accepted.
- Click on Course Administration and select the relevant course from the drop down list.
- In the first 'summary' table click on the appropriate
in the Email column, this will auto-populate a message with the email
addresses of those students who have been accepted.
- Compose your message and send