How do I set up my Gradebook?
The Gradebook is the hub for all graded activities and points earned in your site. There are several settings you can set up for your site, such as Grade Entry in points/percentages, Grade Release Rules, Categories and Weighting, and Grading Schema.
Go to Gradebook.
Select the Gradebook tool from the Tool Menu in your site.
You can select either a Points based gradebook or a Percentage based gradebook, depending on your preferred method for entering grades.
Grade Release Rules.
- Check the Display released Gradebook items to students box to allow students to view released items in the gradebook. (Individual items can be hidden or released when you create or edit items.)
- Check the Display final course grade to students box to show students their final grade in the course as calculated in the gradebook.
- If you have selected to release the final grade, choose your preferred format for the grade display: Letter Grade, Percentage, or Points.
Categories and Weighting.
You can choose to have No categories, Categories only, or Categories & Weighting in your gradebook.
Tip: If you would like to be able to drop grades, you should select either Categories only or Categories & Weighting.
- Select the radio button for Categories only.
- Enter a title for the category in the text box provided.
- If you need additional categories, click on the Add a Category link to enter additional category titles.
- Select the radio button for Categories & Weighting.
- Enter the different categories that you plan to weight in your grading scheme.
- Enter the percentage weighting for each category.
Note: The percentage for all categories taken together must equal 100%.
Enabling drop lowest and/or keep highest.
If you selected either Categories only or Categories & Weighting, the enable drop/keep options will appear. All items within a category must have the same score value in order to use the drop/keep options for that category.
- Select the check box next to each of the desired drop/keep options.
- Enable Drop Highest: Automatically drops the highest score/s among items in a category.
- Enable Drop Lowest: Automatically drops the lowest score/s among items in a category.
- Enable Keep Highest: Automatically keeps the highest score/s among items in a category.
- In the appropriate column, enter the number of items in each category that you wish to drop or keep.
Tip: Many faculty prefer to use Keep Highest as opposed to Drop Lowest, since it reflects a more accurate running total of student grades during the course of the term. Items that students have not yet completed are not dropped automatically, so one or more higher scores may be dropped until all items have been completed.
Extra credit category.
If you would like to designate a category as extra credit, select the check box in the Extra Credit column next to the category. Extra credit items add to the student's total grade, but points do not detract from the overall grade if not completed. For more information on extra credit, see How does extra credit work?
Tip: Both entire categories and individual gradebook items may be designated as extra credit. However, you cannot have an extra credit item within an extra credit category.
You may drag and drop to reorder categories. Click on the reorder icon to the left of the category and drag it to the new location.
If you would like to delete a category, click the Remove button for that category.
- Choose your preferred Grade Type: Letter Grades, Letter Grades with +/-, or Pass/ Not Pass.
- The default grading schema values are displayed. If you would like to customize the score threshold for any of the grade levels, enter the desired value into the fields provided. (Optional)
Save your changes.
Once you have finished with your gradebook setup, don't forget to click on the Save Changes button at the bottom to save your changes.